Today we’re closing season 3 with the ultimate topic of personal finance: is your success in life ultimately a product of the amount of personal responsibility you exercise or the systemic barriers that surround you?
To answer this question, we talk to two experts: Diana Elliott, a sociologist and researcher at Urban Institute who studies systemic barriers, and Charlotte Cowles, a journalist who writes about money for New York Magazine’s The Cut and New York Times and has interviewed hundreds of people about their money habits. Make sure you’re subscribed wherever you listen to podcasts so you get bonus episodes that we share this summer, as well as new episodes when season 4 drops in late summer 2019. Stay rad!
Links from the show:
- Articles cited by Diana Elliot
- Diana Elliott’s Twitter
- Urban Institute
- Charlotte Cowles on The Cut
- Charlotte Cowles’ Twitter
- Kellogg School report on economic mobility perceptions
- “Behind the Curve” flat Earth documentary
- Breakmaster Cylinder on Bandcamp